Welcome

Welcome

woensdag 14 januari 2015

Let's go to the beach!

Belgium has a 67km coastline which is 41,6 miles. Not big but we Belgians love it. It's way to touristy with big buildings along the dikes. Smaller towns and villages are between the bigger cities. Some have more charm then others but still touristy. And you know what, that is exactly how we like it. Yes, we do like to go to the coast in Holland. Over there it is seriously more about nature, just the sand and the north sea. And when the Belgians travel we do like the rock beaches with amazing sites or long sandy ones with waving palm trees. But we can't deny it, it is in our DNA. We all are grown up with the unsightly, overcrowded and crammed beaches and the beautiful sand dunes between all the ugliness.

But all that gives us much pleaser. We can have a apartment or hotel room overlooking the north sea. We can have every meal, snack and drink on the dike, while we are looking at other people and the sea. We can stroll on the dike back and forth, our heads in the wind and breathing in the 'healthy' salty air. And all this while the kids ride with go carts, have ice cream and play in the sand even when it's freezing. It doesn't matter what the weather is, it only matters when the holidays are. Every holiday, long weekend or even a normal weekend and this winter, summer and everything in between, hotels are packed. Yes, in summer and every time the weather is good a lot of day people come to our Belgian beaches. But if you want an overnight stay, be quick and hurry! Otherwise, you can forget it. And trust me not only Belgians know this. Even the French with their amazing beaches come to us. Even the Germans, excuse they don't have a sea but still, come to us. Our beach is ugly and small but it is wanted and popular.

Why am I writing this? Well because I miss my beach. We always go to De Haan (The Rooster, funny name but the village has charm, trust me). I am going there since I was a little girl. It was and still is my home away from home. I went to the sanatorium there. It's for kids with lung diseases like asthma and cystic fibroses but also for kids that struggle with their weight. I have asthma and my best friend there had CF, I'm so happy she still around (she's a mom now, so proud). I had my first boyfriend there, he also had CF and he was German. I grow up there. Every time I drive past it I get memories, good ones and bad ones too. But the bad ones don't matter anymore. You see I'm a girl from Antwerp but the beach is a part of me too. And after a long time not going there, I miss it bad. So to ease the pain, here are some photos form De Haan and Ostend from the last time I was there.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Enjoy Photography

Caroline  

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten